Following a rewarding career as a Sales Representative and Territorial Manager at Labatt Breweries Canada, Hilary transitioned to a career in photography, opening One for the Wall in 2008. Since then, she has used her considerable knowledge of business and sales to grow a very successful enterprise, photographing over 3,500 families in Southwestern Ontario in the last 11 years. In 2011, she began to branch her business into commercial and corporate photography, creating imagery for promotional and marketing purposes, as well as executive and professional profile portraits. Hilary has quickly become known in the thriving local business community as the first choice for both natural light and studio light photography. Alongside her corporate work, she has also created a strong portfolio of actors, singers, speakers and other arts and entertainment professionals, who are drawn to her dramatic lighting and creative composition. In 2018 she was awarded the K-W Oktoberfest Rogers Woman of the Year in Arts & Culture.
Hilary has this innate ability to bring out the best in everyone she works with. You may walk in feeling one way, or very aware of certain insecurities, but those feelings quickly fade into the background once she begins shooting. Every opportunity I’ve had to work with Hilary has been one filled with love, kindness, and compassion. I always leave feeling beautiful and more motivated to pursue my craft; every single time without fail. She’s an absolute pleasure to work with!
We have trusted Hilary with all of our client work for over 7 years, and she has yet to meet a client who doesn’t love her and her work. So much more than just a talented photographer, Hilary understands marketing and strategy, and contributes great ideas to any campaign brainstorm. Her ability to make each person in front of the camera feel good about themselves shines through in headshots, team photos and lifestyle shoots. We are still using lifestyle photos we produced with Hilary over 5 years ago, and they still read as fresh and current, which says a lot. Hire her! You will be thrilled that you did.
Gillian Rees, Chief Strategy Officer REES + STAGER INC.
Over the past two years, we have been fortunate to have had the opportunity to work with Hilary on numerous photo shoots for our social business, cuddle+kind. Hilary creates beautiful images of our cuddle+kind dolls that perfectly capture the fresh and light-hearted essence of our brand for use on our website and social media. Hilary is thoughtful, flexible, and patient. She is more than willing to take multiple shots of our dolls with minor adjustments just to get the perfect shot. We also appreciate Hilary’s versatility; she not only creates delightful product shots, but also captures macro details of our dolls, and images with newborns and children. Besides creating beautiful images, it is truly a pleasure to work with Hilary. She is both an outstanding photographer and person; Hilary just radiates positivity and energy. We would absolutely recommend Hilary to anyone looking for exceptional quality commercial images and always look forward to working together; we leave with beautiful images and a day filled with laughter and smiles.
Jennifer + Derek Woodgate, Founders cuddle + kind
I have known and worked with Hilary for almost two years now and over those years I’ve come to consider her a dear friend. She has been present to not only witness but capture my most cherished moments as a performer in the early stages of my career. Hilary and her team have brought the image of a superstar out of me for myself to see, and now everyday I look into the mirror, I celebrate just that.
Hilary is a gifted, versatile photographer at the top of her professional game. She has a wonderful welcoming energy and a unique ability to put people at ease, while also delivering technically outstanding images that capture the best of any person, performance or special event. Her work stands on its own showcasing her superb acumen for lighting and creative composition while also being fun, relatable and impactful. She has an uncanny talent for capturing people and moments in their best light ultimately delivering stunning pictures that stand out from the crowd. Take into account her professionalism, efficiency and generous community involvement, it’s no wonder she’s always in demand.
Amanda Kind, Marketing Manager – Drayton Entertainment Artistic Director, KW Glee Co-Director
Hilary is a dream to work with! She has a keen eye, a warm heart and is a stickler for getting the lighting just right! I always feel free to be myself in her capable hands and she always delivers stunning photos that capture who I am as an artist.
Joni NehRita, Jazz Musician
Hilary has a tremendous eye for portraying her subjects in a flattering, yet exciting way. We’ve worked together on a number of client shoots and she’s nailed it every time, with everyone loving their portraits. She’s also extremely professional, on time, on schedule and with quick turnaround. I would highly recommend her for commercial photography work.
Ellyn Winters-Robinson, President and CMO, Ignition Communications
- Drayton Entertainment, House Photographer
- Stratford Festival, Show Photographer 2018
- KW Glee, Official Photographer
- KWMP (Kitchener-Waterloo Musical Productions)
- Show Choir Canada, Production Photographer
- KW Youth Theatre
- NorthCore Productions
- Dragonfly Productions
- The Singers Theatre
- Randolph College for the Performing Arts
- A Girl Named Trenholme
- Todd's Snacks
- Canada Beef and Ontario Beef
- Economical Insurance
- Juddles Canada
- Broadview Magazine
- Essential Body Wear
- Cuddle + Kind
- FlapJack Kids
- Menno S. Martin Contractor Ltd.
- Waterloo Region Down Syndrome Society
- University of Waterloo Creative Services
- Wilfrid Laurier University Grad Association
- Chervin Kitchens
- Google Canada
- Women's Crisis Centre of Waterloo Region
- Sunlife Financial
- KW Habilitation
- Walmart Canada Pharmacies, Print and Display Ads
- Nikon D3100 National Television Commercial, Featured Image
- Tiny Prints, Shutterfly
Awards & Recognition
- Rogers Oktoberfest Woman of the Year 2018, Arts & Culture
- Clickin Moms, VOICE Photo Competition Finalist - 2015, 2016, 2019
- Photographer: Women's Crisis Centre "She is Your Neighbour" - Chamber Awards Winner - Best Marketing Campaign 2019
- Rangefinder Magazine, First Place in the Portrait Competition 2017
- Featured in Mozi Magazine, August 2015 Child & Family Issue
- WOW Mentor Award Nominee (WOW the World) and Recipient of Global Stories Award, 2015
- Most Magazine - Waterloo Region, Cover Story Article, "Picture Perfect Success"
- NAPCP Photographer of the Year 2013 - 2014, National Association of Professional Child Photographers
- WOW Award Nominee (Women of Waterloo), 2014
- KW Region Arts Award Nominee, 2014, 2015
- National Association of Professional Child Photographers “International Image Competition” winner (2 first place, 2 second place, 2 third place and 10 Merits)
Clients of Note
- Dr. Donna Strickland, 2018 Nobel Prize Winner in Physics
- Don Most, "ART", Drayton Entertainment 2019 Season , Ralph Malph -"Happy Days"
- Edgar Ramirez, Actor, American Crime Story - He for She Tour at the University of Waterloo
- Feridun Hamdullahpur, President, University of Waterloo
- Deborah MacLatchy, President, Wilfrid Laurier University
- Anna Innis Dagg, Zoologist, Author - "The Giraffe: Its Biology, Behaviour and Ecology", 2018 Documentary: "The Woman Who Loves Giraffes"
- The Honourable George R. Strathy,Chief Justice of Ontario
- David Johnson, Governor General of Canada, for NOW Magazine
- Dave Jaworski, Current Mayor of Waterloo, Ontario
- Brenda Halloran, Former Mayor of Waterloo, Ontario
- Cindy Williams, Actor "Thoroughly Modern Millie", Drayton Entertainment 2019 Season, Laverne & Shirley (TV Sitcom)
- George Wendt, Death of a Salesman, Drayton Entertainment 2017
- Eric Schmidt, Executive Chairman, Alphabet, Inc.
- Michael Wekerle, Merchant Banker and Television Personality on CBC's Dragon's Den
- Avery Broderick, Associate Professor University of Waterloo Physics and Astronomy, Team Member for International EHT Research Team that First Photographed Black Hole
- Mandy Bujold, Boxer - 5th Place 2016 Olympic Games Rio (51 kg), Gold 2015 PanAmerica Games (51 kg), Bronze 2014 Commonwealth Games (51 kg), Gold 2011 PanAmerica Games (51 kg)
- Jayme Armstrong, Lead Actor, Drayton Entertainment (Thoroughly Modern Millie", “Chicago,” “Mary Poppins,” “Rock of Ages,” “The Little Mermaid,” “The 39 Steps”
- Aidan Moreno, Film & Television Actor - JANN, Supernatural, Star Trek Discovery, Reign
- Adele Newton, Radio Host 96.7 CHYM FM
- Greta Podleski, Author "Yum & Yummier", Chef and Television Presenter
- Natalie MacNeil, NY Times Bestselling-Author, She Takes On The World, The Conquer Kit
- Roshan James, Canadian Poet - "This Is My Story, This Is My Song"
- Stacey Kennedy, USA Today Bestselling Canadian Author - Club Sin, Dirty Little Secrets and Filthy Dirty Love Book Series
- Kirsten Moore-Towers and Michael Mariano, Canadian Figure Skating Pairs Champions 2019, Kirsten - Olympic Silver Medallist, Sochi 2018
- Marsha Vanwynsberghe, Canadian Author - "When She Stopped Asking Why"
- Eden Hennessey, Wilfrid Laurier University’s Graduate Student Researcher of the Year, STEM Project
- Delaney Jane, Juno-Nominated Musical Artist - Dance/Electronic
- Alysha Brilla, Juno Award-Nominated Singer and Music Producer
- Josh Bogert, “Miles” on Disney & Family Channel’s BACKSTAGE
- Danielle Wade, Mean Girls on Broadway, Winner CBC's Over the Rainbow, Lead "Marion" Music Man at Stratford Festival - 2018 Season, The Wizard of Oz at Mirvish Productions, Anne of Green Gables at Drayton Entertainment
- AJ Bridel, Kinky Boots at Mirvish Productions, The Wizard of Oz at Drayton Entertainment, Contestant, CBC’s Over the Rainbow
- Wyatt Moss, Understudy for Lead Role, Billy Elliot at Stratford Festival - 2019 Season, Young Roch (Lead) in The Hockey Sweater at the National Arts Centre, Ottawa 2019
- Sarah DaSilva, Billy Elliot at Stratford Festival - 2019 Season, The Sound of Music at Stratford Festival - 2015 Season
- Blue Rodeo, Centre in the Square, 2017
- Joni NehRita, Soul Jazz Musician
- Kelly Lovell, Canada’s Top 20 Under 20, Ontario Provincial Change the World Youth Ambassador, Recipient of the QEII Diamond Jubilee Medal
- Canadian Country Music Awards 2011, Gift Lounge Photographer in partnership with Angela Smith Photography and Fronte and Sentre Communications